Twitter has gone in to the 2019 NewFronts with a new raft of content, revealing that last year’s line-up didn’t just benefit brands – it also led to a 60% hike in payouts back to the publisher partners.
“Payouts to our publishing partners grew 60% over 2018 and they did the same in 2017,” says Laura Froelich, Twitter head of US content partnerships, in this video interview with Beet.TV.
Twitter has content supply deals with more than 950 publishers. Its payouts come from the gamut of relationships and ad products – including for exclusive content productions and simply returning money for ads placed against publishers’ material. Twitter also discussed that hike with Digiday.
Froelich tells Beet.TV publishers can work the ad sales relationship however they like: “Either they can do what we call ‘lead-the-sale’ or oftentimes Twitter will lead the sale.”
At the NewFronts, Twitter is touting a slate of publisher offerings to advertisers:
- Univision: Spanish-language content for sports, news and entertainment.
- NFL: Ongoing highlights, news, analysis and Twitter-only live events, plus more videos and fan polls.
- The Player’s Tribune: A new interactive talk show, “Don’t @ Me”, featuring two athletes plus Twitter users’ engagement.
- MLS: Live matches via @UnivisionSports and @MLS, which will post every goal to Twitter.
- ESPN Onsite: The new name for ESPN live on-location shows like The College Football Show, Hoop Streams, Ariel Helwani’s MMA Show, and MLS Countdown Live.
- Bleacher Report: Season two for House of Highlight, fuelled by Twitter conversation.
- Blizzard Entertainment: The game publisher’s BlizzCon 2019 event will be live-streamed in November.
- Wall street Journal: New franchise “WSJ Now” with reporting and analysis in video, “from sunrise to primetime”, plus live broadcasts from WSJ conferences.
- Bloomberg: Ongoing carriage for the anchor TicToc partnership.
- CNET: Ad partnerships on-offer for CNET video coverage of events like CES and Mobile World Conference, plus its buying guides and news.
- Time magazine: Twitter-only video streams, Moments and other ways in which the publisher will bring Person Of The Year to life.
- Live Nation: “10 concerts, in 10 weeks, with 10 world class artists” plus clips from festivals.
- Viacom: from the VMAs, users can focus on particular members’ audience reactions by selecting their own live stream.
NewFronts is a season when digital media properties tout their upcoming content roster to tie down upfront ad sales,