Brands that previously let their ad agencies get on with the business of advertising are increasingly using available new technology platforms do do some of the work themselves.
So is the very existence of the media agency under threat? Not according to one agency exec who has just crossed to the other side.
“More clients want to get involved in the decisions about what platforms they work with – it’s only natural,” according to Tim Castree, MediaVest’s USA COO, who recently joined video ad platform Videology to run North America operations.
“A lot of people see that as the canary in the coal mine for the disintermediation of media agencies in the future. That is not a world view that I subscribe to. Much like incredible trading technologies didn’t spell the end of financial services companies, I don’t see the incredible platforms coming to bear on the business of media ultimately spelling the end of the media business.”
Castree tells Beet.TV agencies will survive if they quickly iterate to clients’ needs.
Castree and Videology at the Beet Retreat
Castree will be a speaker at next month’s Beet Retreat in Fort Lauderdale, which is being co-sponsored by AOL and Videology. Participants in the forthcoming event are listed below:
- Dan Ackerman, SVP, Programmatic TV, Adap.tv (AOL Inc.)
- Judy Bahary, SVP, comScore
- Frank Besteiro, VP, Head of Business Development & Partnerships, Video, AOL Inc.
- Sean Buckley, SVP, SpotXchange
- Mike Bologna, President, Modi Media (WPP)
- Tim Castree, Managing Director, NA, Videology
- Joe Cady, VP, Digital Strategy & Sales, NBC Universal (Comcast)
- Tal Chalozin, CTO and Co-Founder, Innovid
- Jim Daily, GM, North America, Teads
- Brian Danzis, Chief Revenue Officer, Virool
- Mac Delaney, SVP, VivaKi (Publicis)
- Gordie DePacale, VP, Product, Mediaocean
- Campbell Foster, Director of Product Marketing, Adobe Systems, Inc.
- Gian Fulgoni, Executive Chairman Emeritus & C0-Founder, comScore
- Charles Gabriel, Chief Advertising Officer, Maker Studio (Disney)
- Brent Gaskamp, SVP, Videology
- Michael Glantz, Manager, Business Development, Simulmedia
- Rebecca Howard, GM for Video, The New York Times
- Kevin Lenane, CEO, Veenome
- Oren Harnevo, CEO, Eyeview
- David Hohman, EVP, Agency Solutions, Nielsen
- Richard Kosinksi, President, Unruly
- Stefan Maris, Product Manager, Civolution
- Marta Martinez, Global Head of Video Sales, AOL Inc.
- JR McCabe, SVP, Video, Time Inc.
- David J. Moore, President, WPP Digital, Chairman, Xaxis
- Dan Mosher, SVP, BrightRoll (Yahoo)
- Peter Naylor, SVP Sales, Hulu
- Nicolle Pangis, Chief Global Revenue Officer, Xaxis (WPP)
- Jaimie Power, Sr. Partner, Addressable Media, Modi Media (WPP)
- Bertrand Quesada, Co-Founder & CEO, Teads
- Shenan Reed, President of Digital, MEC North America (WPP)
- James Kreckler, SVP, Video Sales, Media Digital Sales, NBC Universal (Comcast)
- James Rooke, GM, Business Solutions, FreeWheel (Comcast)
- Mitchell Reichgut, CEO, Jun Group
- Veena Rayapareddi, Vice President, Magna Global (IPG)
- Anthony Risicato, Chief Strategy Officer, Eyeview
- Jack Rotherham, CMO, FreeWheel (Comcast)
- Tracey Scheppach, EVP, Innovations Director, VivaKi Starcom MediaVest Group (Publicis)
- Adam Singolda, CEO, Taboola
- Ashley J. Swartz, CEO, Furious Corp.
- Mark Trefgarne, Co-Founder and Product Management Director, LiveRail at Facebook
- Ritu Trivedi, Head of U.S. Brand Marketing, Microsoft Corporation
- Jay VanDerzee, Head of Media Platform Sales, Americas, Google Inc.
- Irfon Watkins, CEO, Coull
- Chris Woods, CRO, Visible Measures
- Julian Zilberbrand, EVP, Activation, Zenith Optimedia (Publicis)